At the ripe age of two, our daughter has decided to enter the world of negotiations. She might not wear a business suit or take command of a board room, but I'm sure any big wig CEO would have trouble saying no to this offer...
Here is the scenario: Its lunch time and we are going to have green beans and pasta. (Traditionally, her favorite menu items.) However, the green beans are ready before the pasta so I sit her in her chair, she says a blessing on the food and I tell her its time to eat. Meanwhile, I walk over to finish cooking the pasta. She then begins to complain because she wants to help cook the pasta and refuses to eat her beans. All my explaining and persuasion is in vain. Finally, after escalating to crying I tell her its time for a time out - for both of our sakes. After her two minute time out I return to the room and ask if she is happy and ready to eat her beans. She replies in a tell it like it is voice "Happy, green beans, two bites, okay?" I sat there speechless for a moment soaking in the fact that she has just tried to negotiate her own terms of the agreement. Finally, I say "deal" and we return to the kitchen. She takes takes a seat and counts out loud each of the two hardy spoonful of beans and then takes off the bib, pushes the beans away to ready herself to climb up the chair and help Mom cook at the counter.
I'm still a little in shock about the whole incident. Maybe I should brush up on my negotiating skills. Thank goodness I've had plenty of practice with my Dad...although, in his grandfather state I'm pretty sure he would let Eliza win everytime.
Thursday, July 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Okay, HILARIOUS.
Post a Comment